Monday, June 20, 2011

L.O.V.E run adventure starts tomorrow!

My first attempt at blogging....I never really thought that this is something I would try, but several people have asked for updates as I run across the state...so here goes!

As many of you know I am running across Iowa in honor of my great grandfather's epic spirit. In 1897 he walked around the world on a bet... Of course, my ancestor would find a way to make a living by doing crazy stunts. He lost an arm while working in a factory as a kid, so he couldn't do the average type of work. Instead, he started doing things like jumping off bridges, walking across states, across the country and eventually around the world. Ironically enough, it took him too long to walk around the world, so he didn't even win the bet. I guess he got caught up in several wars and was help prisoner in Turkey for a while, which could slow a person down!

As many of you also know, i am incredibly passionate about yoga! I couldn't help but take this opportunity to share the joy of yoga as I go. I'm really looking forward to doing a little teaching as I run across the state. Yoga has truly helped me connect back to my heart and has given me tools to move into and through fear. For years anxiety used to be a huge factor in my life. I suffered from panic attacks and fear definitely was limiting my life experience. Thanks to the gift of yoga and other mindful practices, I've found the courage to keep on doing the things that scare me most. As I stay present in fearful situations, the fear melts away and on the other side of fear I've found freedom and love. I truly believe that when people can move out of fear and into love then compassion for all beings will arise.

I'll also be using this whole adventure as a way to raise awareness for the benefit of local food and to fund raise for Practical Farmers of Iowa and Slow Food USA. I am so desperately in love with this planet, and I am always seeking ways to help support this earth. I really appreciate the work that these two organizations are doing to help support a more sustainable food industry. Can you believe that here in the Heartland, with some of the most fertile soil around, the average food travels 1500 miles to reach our plate? There must be better ways!

So, that's the background. Now, I am frantically organizing, packing, and trying to not forget things. I have so much anticipation for this journey and am trying to just go back to my yoga practice of breathing and staying present. I am so ready to just start running! I am really looking forward to seeing the whole state on foot, meeting new people, and spending more time with those who will be on the adventure with me. One key perosn on my journey is my buddy, Steve Flynn, who is going to run the whole thing with me! I couldn't be happier! We were camp counselors at a YMCA camp 15 years ago...and would spend our free time running around the camp lake. We'll see how well those 4 mile runs prepared us for this big adventure :)

I'll do my best to write every day and post pictures! For now, I better get back to packing...and breathing...and loving life!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all the details Jeanelle! You are amazing and inspiring!
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanelle
    I am a colleague of Steve's and anxious to follow your run. Good luck!
    Kelly Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a member of Slow Foods ISU and a fellow blogger and love everything about this run and your blog and everything! Stop by Ames and see my first organic garden ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Jeanelle! Thank you for the posts - We are holding you in our hearts! Big LOVE - Lore, Chris, and Steve.

    ReplyDelete