Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 6: A beautiful day in the HEARTland

After a stormy, wild night in Newton we were up at 5AM and on the before 6AM. It looked like rain might be coming, which isn't a big deal, but it led me to a bit of a dilemma about what to do about shoes. Despite having brought four pairs of shoes with me, I've found that I can only wear one pair....and that's the pair I've worn for the last three days...and if it were going to rain, I wanted to keep them dry for the long miles of the day. They are my oldest pair of Vibrams (toe shoes), with holes between the toes, holes in the side of the shoe, and the tred pretty much worn off the bottom. But, they feel great! Or at least as great as a shoe can feel right now....just enough to protect my feet from the gravel. Anyway, I tried on all my other shoes that I brought, and went back to my oldest pair of VIbrams. Thankfully, the rain held off, and my feet stayed happy.

I went through what is becoming my mini-morning depression. That time when I am sore and I feel like there is no way I can do this. This morning, the negative self talk was "I don't want to be in pain any more". Just kept running through my head. I kept reminding myself that I have it good, and that this is temporary, and I don't believe I am doing anything to cause permanent injury...so I kept going anyway. The miles slowly passed and soon I was running pretty hard. The first 18 miles were actually quite phenomenal! Somewhere around mile 19, I took a break to walk and the IT band cramped up big time...to the point where I couldn't even walk...it comes on so suddenly. But, instead of getting so emotional about it, I put ice on it, rested for 10 minutes and started again. Another two miles to lunch in Searsboro, IA. There was one lone pavillion by the side of the road, just waiting for us to have a picnic! It was probably about 72 degrees, sunny, puffy white clouds, and a nice breeze. A gorgeous afternoon!

At this point I had 9 miles to go, and I gave myself permission to walk to try to give the IT bands a break. After lunch they felt good though, so I tried a little more jogging until around mile 22 the other IT band cramped to the point of not being able to walk. A little ice, and I was back to walking again. At this point, I listened to my body and enjoyed a lovely walk on a most beautiful day in Iowa.

Walking really gives me time to enjoy the country side. Today I enjoyed how the wind blows across the grasses and the corn fields creating a rippling wave effect, reminding me of the ocean. I saw a gorgeous prairie full of brilliant wildflower! Near Montezuma, Iowa I ran by a sparkling lake and forest! I forgot to mention that yesterday I ran through a wildlife preserve/prairie just south of the Newton area. A herd of buffalo roam these lands (though I never did see them yesterday). For a moment I felt as though I was seeing Iowa as it must have looked 200 years ago (minus the powerlines...haha). Instead of corn and soy, grasslands stretcehd as far as the eye could see. So beautiful.

Now I am hanging out at Monica's house in Grinnell, and I am super psyched to teachyoga in less than an hour! In fact, I probably better start getting myself into a state where I am ready to teach! I feel I like I haven't taught in ages, and I have missed it! I am so grateful to have the opportunity to share the gift of yoga on a farm! Grinnell Heritage Farms runs a super popular CSA and I can't wait to check it out!

I estimate that I have run about 205 miles, which means that I am 2/3 of the way across! Woohoo!! Still taking it day by day...mile by mile :)

As always, much love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Incredible, Jeanelle. Love reading your words here. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!!! I was so happy to see your message today!! I"m sore from BIKING next to you HALF of your run yesterday. I'll walk up stairs backwards today in honor of you!

    ReplyDelete