Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 5: A parade of people!!

Today was such an awesome day....mainly thanks to all the great people who were out to help!!! We began at Gray's Lake Park with Alisa, Josh, James, Mary, Dave, Ed, and of course my lovely support crew which was now my MOM and Victoria. Tim was off to Reno for a conference, but I've been getting phone calls all day...i think he was a little nervous leaving me :)

Alisa is the best cheerleader in the world, so of course she had banners, signs, a mannequin with a crazy hat (??), chalk etc. You name it and she was ready! But the best part was just the company. Since Steve Flynn had to drop with a foot injury on day 2, i had run about 90 miles alone. Of course my lovely support crew was meeting me frequently, but there's nothing quite like having someone by your side :) I must say, I have enjoyed my time running along during much of the run. I've listened to music, sang out loud for miles, prayed, thanked everyone and everything i can think of one, meditated etc.....but during those times when it feels like someone is taking a bat to my knee....or during those times when the mileage just seems daunting....it really is nice to have someone to talk to.

I was expecting to start slow today with achy feet and painful IT bands as that as how the last couple of mornings went. But if this trip has taught me anything it is: let go of expectations! So, I began slowly, but within a half mile started running, and felt great! So, I primarily ran with an awesome parade of people on bikes. We chatted, laughed and had a great time! The first 20 miles flew by. At some point, I took a short break and the wind actually got me pretty chilled...which led to the IT bands cramping up. I'd sprawl out alongside the road and Mary Dix would massage my IT bands....she totally rocks! In the afternoon, I walked quite a bit. Honestly, my IT bands weren't as bad as the day before, and I probably could have run more, but after all this time, that steady pain is just getting tiring. Since I had the time today, I walked quite a bit of the last 12 miles. At this time Kelly and Dan from Decatur, Il joined me! Kelly and I went to grad school together, years ago in Ithaca, and we ran our first marathons together. It was so fitting to have her along for this grand adventure. Both Kelly and Dan were fantastic run/hiking buddies!!! I really cannot thank everyone today enough. Having company was so invaluable. I am just incredibly grateful for everyone's support. I know how hard it is to get away, not just for a couple of hours, but for a whole weekend! And everyone's support made this day go so much easier.

Now I am hanging out at a home in Newton. Bruce Thayer, one of the most beautiful people I've ever met, hooked me up with his brother's family in Newton. Not only are they sharing their home with us, but they've made dinner for us, have given me ice packs and been such gracious hosts. SO grateful for NEW friends.

At this point I am now half way done in terms of days, and over half way done in terms of miles. I am thinking that I've done about 180 miles, which leaves me about 135 to go....not so bad. I now have no days over 30 miles, and soon i will be running through my hometown!! I am so excited to see all my Iowa CIty people and hopefully get to run with my dogs some :) They have been my most consistent training buddies, so it only seems fitting that they come out for a bit. Tomorrow I'll have the opportunity to teach some yoga in Grinnell at Grinnell Heritage Farms. I am super excited!

Overall, a fantastic day full of much love and community. Again, I can't help but feel so grateful for this experience. So, despite the fact that my feet are huge, covered in blisters, my IT bands are about to burst etc....i really have it pretty good. I am running because I am free to run. I don't have to worry about food, shelter, and no one has ever tried to harm me. I have lived such a blessed life and I am so grateful for every moment in it that has brought me to this moment.

3 comments:

  1. Fun Day Jeanelle!! Steves (thunder McGuire and Meggitt) are using all of their weather MOJO to sustain this perfectly runnable (or bikeable in our case!) weather! I hope it stays...the weather gods are blowing kisses down on you tonight.
    Great fun watching you run through one landscape after another today with Ed by your side for every stride till noon! Glad to hear Dave ran with you for the last part too!
    See you in Iowa City for big crowds of YOGA! Remember to get some ultrasound this week on those IT bands! Is Nancy lined up for massage anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I"m so stupid with blogs..."Jeanelles' run" is Me. (hope that helps!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Jell! You are one powerful gal and I can't help telling everyone I talk to (at my yoga studio, checking out at the grocery store,...) about my amazing sister who is running across Iowa. I am so excited to be a part of your parade of people in just a few days. I may not be able to run very far right now, but I'll be excellent company during the long hobbles! In the meantime, just know that many in Toronto are cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete