Friday, July 8, 2011

LOVE Run Recovery!

It has now been a whole week since I sat with my feet in the Mississippi on my final day of the LOVE run, and I am happy to say that I am definitely feeling most of the way recovered! I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it took a whole week to get back to this point. For whatever reason, I thought the aches and pains and tired feeling would melt away after two days like it has with all my other endurance adventures. However, this one was a bit longer.....my feet were back at their normal size by Tuesday, the tendonitis in my ankle is about 90% gone and we'll see about those IT bands. This is the first morning that they haven't hurt upon waking, so we'll see how they do when I take my dogs for a walk. I've also been feeling a little tired from my week of restless sleep and have been enjoying some super lovely afternoon naps.

Last night was the first night I slept through the night without aching legs waking me up. YAY! I didn't have to take any ibuprofen nor did I have to put my legs up the wall at midnight. The only lingering effect is that I am STILL dreaming that I am running! Last night in my dream I finished the run, so I am hopefully now done with the run in my subconcious mind too.

I have had so many people help me out with this recovery. I have had 5 massages from the most beautiful angel, Nancy Lincoln and I have received a most amazing 2.5 hour hot/cold stone massage from Kaylyn Hoskins. On top of massage, I've now received osteopathic work from John Macatee and chiropractic work from Dr. Jane at Synchronicity Chiropractic. Talk about spoiled!!! And, I know that I have had even more people than I can imagine sending light and healing energy my way, which I am also so thankful for!

And, I have stuck to my promise of no running for a week, but I have enjoyed some nice walks with my sweet pups, and I have been doing at least 90 minutes of yoga each day...with extra bonus emphasis on stretching those IT bands.

Part of my recovery has definitely been EATING!! During the run I got used to eating just about constantly, and that continued for the first couple of days. I even got up at 2AM one night to have a snack. I think chocolate has been a key recovery food for me. It all started with that delicious gluten free, dairy and egg free chocolate cake from the co-op. Bruce served it at his house as he hosted the most awesome LOVE run celebration party! Somehow the cake ended up coming home with me....and as many of you know, I lack self-control when it comes to sweet things in my house. I usually work around this by making sure sweet things don't come into my house too often, but when they do...watch out! Luckily I had just run 300 miles, so I really didn't care at this point! I began eating about three pieces of chocolate cake a day. I did lose about 3 lbs on this run, so I had some catching up to do :)

In general, I really feel great! I am starting to think about my next races.....hopefully the 24 hr Thunder Rolls Adventure race in August (if i can get my team together), and then most likely a 50 mile trail run in September...perhaps the North Face Race in Kettle Moraine, WI. I have also been giving thought to my next big adventure. I'd like to do something next year. Not sure what. I'd like to run across the whole country, but I'd do it without the pressure of a timeline. I'd also like to take this running adventure outside of the US. Perhaps a run across a different country or some other cool natural feature. Any ideas?

I have enjoyed taking and teaching a bunch of yoga this week, and I am looking forward to the arrival of Sam and Dan of the Yogaslackers this weekend and to practicing some acro and slackline yoga! I would love to have everyone join us! These guys are phenomenal teachers and just tons of fun.

Much love and light to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment